*TRIGGER WARNING! Weight loss/ diet*

 ⚠️ WARNING ⚠️ 

This post will contain diet/weight loss talk, before and after pictures and ED mentions



Back in February this year my life was a little... up in the air I guess. Mum had been fighting cancer and had now just lost her leg! 
Husband and I decided (or rather I’d changed my mind) that we wanted another child but I convinced myself I needed to lose some weight first so I went to see my GP. 
Now, I was expecting a “sure we’ll refer you to Physiotherapy to increase your activity levels” at best  or “okay eat less move more here’s a leaflet about diabetes” at worst. 
I’ve not exactly had the most helpful doctors in the past... but my current GP is great! She had never once mentioned my weight herself. I told her I needed some help to lose weight, that I’d tried so many different things for over a decade but nothing had worked. She said to me “of course you haven’t managed it alone, with being too disabled to exercise enough, having PCOS and medications that cause weight gain you are fighting a losing battle!” 
SHE UNDERSTOOD! A HEALTH PROFESSIONAL UNDERSTANDING THAT ITS JUST NOT THAT EASY!!

So, she prescribed me orlistat; orlistat is a medication that prevents your body from absorbing fat from the food that you eat. 

She explained to me that this is not just a magic pill, I still had to make some changes to my diet. She straight up said “if you eat too much fat on these you’ll shit yourself without warning, just like walking down the street and you’ll shit yourself” YIKESSS 

So I went home and did some research and joined a couple of FB groups for people who take this pill to figure out what I needed to change. Everyone said the best thing to do was stick to 15g or less of fat per meal - 3 meals a day. So I looked at my weekly meal plan and the things I ate on a regular basis to see what I needed to change... as it turned out I didn’t actually have to make any huge changes, just a few little tweaks here and there, things like switching to skimmed milk and low fat butter, baking things instead of frying them. Easy changes. 

I think the reason I’ve been able to stick on this “diet” all year is that it hasn’t felt like a diet at all, I still eat all the things I used to, I don’t feel restricted or always hungry, heck I eat chocolate most days! 

I did worry going in to this that having to calorie count and keep tract of fat and have constant weigh ins at the doctor was going to be hella triggering for me... I did have a couple of little blips I won’t lie - but for the most part I’ve been okay with it. 

So far I have lost 3 stone 6.6 (or 48.6lbs) 
I’m not dieting this week because Christmas but I’m actually looking forward to getting back on it Jan 1st. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

I’m coming out