Jeffree Star & Mitchell masterclass (Birmingham)

Hello my freaky darlings!

Okay so its been nearly a week since the masterglass and I think I've finally processed it so I'm gonna tell you all about it, the experience, accessibility issues, the goody bag!

I woke up around 7am that morning - or rather I was woken up by my offspring... and immidiately started on my makeup... I mean I was gonna be meeting THE Jeffree Star and Mitchell! my makeup had. to. be. flawless.

AJ was picked up to go to a friends around 9 and Jay and I left for birmingham around 10, a little later than we wanted but we made it in time for our train, just. I was pretty nervous by this point and Jay was getting hangry so we were getting a little snippy with each other so we made a pit stop to grab some snacks.

We had planned to walk from the train station to the venue once we arrived in birmingham since it was only around 10-15 mins away but we soon hit a bump... literally. We had made it about 5 mins down the road before coming to a crossing with no dropped curbs, we could have gone back and found one further back but there would be no guarantee that we wouldnt have the same problem again so we decided to order an uber.

When we arrived at the venue - on time by some miricle we had to use the accessible entrance which was easy enough and got ourselves checked in. Everyone was given their goody bag on check in (except for Jay since he was in on a free carers ticket) so naturally since we had time to kill we just had to go through it and see what we had! we descovered I was missing a couple of things, mitchell had posted on instagram what we would be getting so I knew what should of been in there. Me being the anxiety ridden mess that I am would of just been like "oh well never mind" and left it at that but luckily Jay has no problems sorting these things out so he went to talk to the team from Tatti lashes and got the missing items. We were talking to a girl named Leah later on who had arranged all of my access needs and she told us we werent the only ones who had things missing, they had volunteers filling the bags and I guess they didn't do a very good job! she also mentioned that they had run out of some things and were having to post them out to people and that a couple of the items in the bag had been changed at the last minuet like a liquid eyeshadow was swapped for the anistasia beverly hills pro brow pallet.
Here is a look at what was in the VIP goody bag:

































I worked it out and being over £450 worth of makeup!

So the masterclass started around an hour later than sheduled, Jay and I were seated right at the front in the center directly in front of Jeffree and Mitchell which was AWESOME, there was a sign on the floor that said "reserved for Sarah Goldstein" it made me feel so imortant haha


 During the Class Mitchell did Jeffrees makeup and shared his tips and tricks - I actually learned some new techniques! which is surprising considering how long I've been doing makeup. I even ended up buying myself the firsali skin tune primer after the show since it made Jeffrees skin look so good.
Everyone was encouraged to ask questions and there was a mic passed around, there were some really great questions asked but some really inconsiderate people asked Jeffree about Diamond and if he'll be getting another dog and about youtube drama with people like Manny MUA and James charles which quite clearly upset him but he soldiered on. I heard talk on facebook groups after the show that Jeffree was really off in the meet and greet and wouldnt hug anyone (I dont know how true that is) and I'm not really surprised after those questions.

When the masterclass was over Silver and Gold tickets left and VIP's stayed behind for the meet and greet - this is where we hit another little snag, it was up a couple of steps - not ideal... The team at Tatti lashes couldnt of been more accomidating though and said if we didnt mind waiting around until the end they'd take us around back stage to meet Jeffree and Mitchell.
Now, I want to talk a little bit about my own internalised ableism at this point.. We had quite a wait before we'd be going back stage and I had been sat in my chair for HOURS, my knees were incredibly stiff and painful because sitting in the same possition for hours is just as hard on my joins as walking can be so I got my walking stick out and stood to stretch my legs - I thought nothing of it at this point even though I could see people staring, I didn't care. I wanted an outfit pic for instagram in front of the background where I was standing because I can't seem to shift out of the "I just look better/slimmer stood up" it's something I'm really trying hard to work on getting over but I'm sure some of you will understand where I'm coming from on this - as a bigger girl when I sit down everything sort of spreads out and squishes and you suddenly become wider and I have a short torso with big boobs, any definition I have in my waist is lost when I sit and my boobs and tummy become one. Anyway I ignored the staring stretched my legs and carried on.
Then it was our turn, we went round the back and I was so nervous.
Mitchell came out first, he asked me if I had enjoyed the show and if I was liking the goodie bag - I told him I was having a great time and that I'd already played with some of the makeup while I waited, he said he loved my hair. Then Jeffree appeared "Yesss front row! I was looking for you I thought damn did that bitch leave us already!?" He is absolutly flawless in real life, his skin really does look like plastic! I stood up again and even said while I did it "this outfit looks better standing) and we had some pictures taken - Jeffree made sure we had good lighting! even Zach (Nates brother - who does all of jeffrees videos if you're familiar" was taking pictures. Jeffree and Mitchell then both asked me for a hug and Jeffree gave me a big old squeeze and thanked me for coming (Jay got TWO hugs from Jeffree!) I thanked them both and left, a little star struck and wobbly haha.

It took me a while to process the whole thing - it wasn't until we were in the car on the way home (one missed train, £30 in new tickets, realising there were no buses on a sunday after getting the train and having to call my dad to pick us up later) that it started to sink in and more internalised ablism hit me...
"Jeffree star probably thinks I'm a right dickhead" I thought to myself... I stood up for the pictures, I walked around for 5 mins waiting before our turn, him and everyone else is probably thinking "hold up a sec this bitch can walk why we giving her special treatment?!" I felt like I needed to turn back and track them down and explain "I can walk a bit and standing up some times is better than sitting for too long my knees were really hurting I needed to straighten up but also I can't do steps because my knees were hurting siyfhsidufhihsfu"
I need to get over this feeling like I need to explain myself, no one questioned me, no one seemed to care I didn't sense any judgement at the time at all but I still feel the need to justify my actions.

Anyway, I had an absolutly wonderful time, I'm sure Jeffree doesn't REALLY think I'm a dickhead and I will probably maybe stop talking about it soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I’m coming out